Or, if you don’t like reading – all you really need to do is watch his Takeaway Show in Paris with La Blogothéque. To summarize briefly: Leon’s voice is on point, the harmonies are soulful and soothing, the red wine is boss, and the Parisians give zero fucks. It’s glorious.
So once you’ve watched and fallen head over heels, be sure to give the full album Coming Home a listen – I assure you it’s worth it.
Great news internet! One of my favorite music series is back in action – A.V. Club’s A.V. Undercover, where artists of all genres stop by the A.V. Club offices and choose a song from a pre-selected list to cover. This year’s series kicks off with one of my personal favorites, and a veteran of the series – Punch Brothers. A few years ago, the boys and their strings set a bar that has yet to be matched (IMHO) when they covered Cars, and now they’re back – this time taking on The Strokes’ Repitlia.
Now – it’s worth noting (as A.V. Club rightfully does), that PB have already covered this song, but that doesn’t make their arrangement any less kick ass. If you’re not familiar with the Punch Brothers, you should know that each and every one of them is about a billion times more talented than you are, and Chris Thile loves to make weird faces while he crushes the mandolin. And hopefully after this you will have a strong desire to become more familiar with them.
So welcome back Undercover! I can’t wait to see what other treasures this year’s series has in store for us.
Look the week is basically over. In fact, if you’re on the East Coast, it is over. But before you get your weekend pippity poppin’, do yourself a favor and watch the final round from last night’s episode of Lip Sync Battle. Everyone’s favorite dreamboat and executive producer John Krasinski, takes on future auteur, Pitch Perfect 2 boss, and Twitter queen Anna Kendrick. Let me give you a list of the highlights in no particular order:
- Tear away clothes
- Hilarious height discrepency
- John Krasinski in drag
- A slideshow of Emily Blunt’s face
- Hands free microphones
- Jennifer Lopez serving
- LL Cool J & Chrissy Teigen (yeah I know they’re in every ep, but whatever, it’s the most baller host combo ever
- Anna Kendrick looking absurdly hot and being like, a really good dancer
So Happy Friday! Now watch these goddamn videos.
I do my best not to utitilze too much so-called “basic bitch speak.” I.e., “I’m dying,” “I can’t,” “This is literally, everything” “I can’t even,” “Stop,” etc.
But sometimes, it’s the only way to describe things. Like Taylor Swift’s new video for Blank Space. Because that shit is EVERYTHING. I can’t with it. I’m dying from it. It needs to stop. But also NEVER STOP.
Since this video has clearly left me without words, here are 8 (+
1 2 bonus) stills to prove my point.
2. This dip, this dress, it’s all just too much.
3. Running in a ballgown? I want it. I need it. Oh baby, oh baby.
4. This picnic + red lip combo is literally the best thing I’ve ever seen.
5. THROWIN SHADE.
6. This leopard and bleeding mascara is KILLING me. Also GET OUT OF HERE YOU ADORABLE TINY BABY DEER.
7. Shut up with this crop top and shorts set.
8. An axe? A horse? That dress? EVERYTHING.
BONUS. This Mean Girls reference? I AM LITERALLY DEAD FROM NOT BEING ABLE TO EVEN.
In case you’re an idiot and haven’t devoted your morning/afternoon to this video. Here it is in all it’s magnificent glory.
EDIT: Re-watching the video I’m ashamed to admit I did not include this beauty. TWO HORSES, A CAT, AND MARBLE FLOORS?! I mean…
Yes you read right, THE Strong Bad, of homestarrunner.com fame, is back. Joined by none other than Coach Z to deliver us, the peorple, a new “number one jam.” And boy do they deliver. “Fish Eye” is everything you need in a weekend banger – rap, gratuitous booty shots, old timey jazz, you name it! I almost feel a bit of sacrilege posting the YouTube embed, as it takes away from the fun of trying to click every possible area of the screen to find the easter eggs, waiting around staring at your screen hoping for additional footage (spoiler alert: it’s the best part of the video) – but regardless, here it is. Now if only I had the ability to summon a cieling pizza…
Really, there was no way this performance video wasn’t going to be incredible. Let’s look at the ingredients of this magical and wonderful musical layer cake:
1) The Blogoteque – One of the OGs when it comes to cool and unique performance session videos, no one really does it better
2) Paris – The acoustics in this old chapel (Saint-Saturnin Chapel, Fontainebleau Castle) are incredible, and the setting is absolutely stunning (especially when they move up to the roof)
3) That Badass Silver Upright Bass – No need for elaboration on this one.
4) Jack White – Let’s be honest, the man is in his prime right now. From demolishing vinyl sales, to being totally unimpressed by sports, to his fantastic arrangements, it seems that there is nothing Jack white can’t do.
So – take it all in, friends, and enjoy.
By now you have probably seen the new video for Jenny Lewis’s latest single “Just One of the Guys” from her forthcoming album “The Voyager.” It stars Jenny Lewis, Anne Hathaway, Brie Larson and Kristen Stewart alternating between white suits with pretty/punk-rock hair and makeup and full Adidas jumpsuits with flat brims and mustaches. The video is pretty run of the mill aside from it’s all star cast goofing around and pretending to play intstruments, but there was one thing that struck me: Kristen Stewart. Is it just me or she actually acting in this? And well! She’s almost, dare I say, funny? Of course, this is only while she’s in her “guy” look – as a lady she’s her usual pouty old self.
So props to you Kristen Stewart for making me chuckle. Perhaps you missed your calling as the hilariously douche-y dude in a Disney channel original sitcom.